Thursday, June 17, 2010

Restaurants

A few restaurants out there now have gluten free menus.
My parents took T and Z out to eat tonight, and apparently Z actually asked for the gluten free menu!
Unfortunately, I got a phone call, practically in tears proclaiming the only thing on the kids menu he could have was the hot dog and he really didn't want a hot dog, he wanted mac & cheese, ( and spaghetti and meatballs, which i do make at home, GF, but at a restaurant that isn't going to be the case)

I really wish that they offered kids something more then steak, bunless burgers, and grilled chicken. Maybe get some Ian's nuggets or something. I let him get the mac and cheese, as he isn't *officially* diagnosed, and he asked for a GF menu all by himself and generally knows to ask what he can eat. Poor kid, I have a hard enough time eating at a restaurant, imagine being 5 and not being able to have nuggets, or pasta, or possibly even fries for fear of the chicken and fries sharing oil.


Oh, so I forgot!

We went to Frate's last night, for T's graduation, I called Bliss, to make sure their ice cream is in fact GF, ( well the common sense ones). After I said that I needed him to use a clean scoop that hasn't touched a cone, or for example cookie dough ice cream, he took the scoop out back and sanatized it for us, right there.

As far as Bliss goes, all of their "main" flavors are gluten free but they are processed on the same belts as non-gluten free products. For example, mint chocolate chip, the chips are gluten free, from a dedicated facility, but grasshopper which contains oreos is also made on the same belt. They always make the Choc Chip first and wash the system down, but can't guarantee that it won't cause a reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment