Saturday, July 10, 2010

Not so Midnight cake

I have been longing for the midnight cake we would get at school with our pizza on Fridays. I have searched the interwebs and have yet to find a decent copy.

This cake is pretty similar with the frosting, but I think I am going to keep tweaking until I get it just right.

Preheat oven to 350F

Cream together
2/3 shortening (Crisco)
1 2/3 C sugar
3 eggs

then add in a mixing cup
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 C coffee ( black and cold)
2 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate


sift together
2 1/4 C flour ( I used my gluten free mix + 3/4 tsp xanthan gum)
1/3 C cocoa
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt


I then blended a scoop of the flour mix, alternating with the vanilla/coffee/chocolate mix.



For the frosting I referred to my mother, granted with all of her cafeteria lady knowledge she doesn't know or ever heard of midnight cake.

She said that the cafeteria uses something like butter flavored crisco for frostings. Not having any I used half crisco half , I can't believe it's not butter. ( I must admit for this I didn't measure in the slightest) I blended the two together, added about a tsp of vanilla and 1 tsp almond extract, then poured in powdered sugar until it looked and tasted "right".

Unfortunately the cake isn't the prettiest seeing that my youngest demon seemingly can reach the counter now.

No comments:

Post a Comment